Search This Blog

17 November 2008

Green Gardening

You may remember that, as part of Blog Action Day last year, I talked a little about the environment. Unfortunately I wasn't able (i.e. forgot) to participate this year, but I have got some interesting news on eco-developments in West Berkshire. Not long ago, the council introduced green bins, into which you can put so called 'green waste'. Distasteful as this may sound, it refers simply to any waste that degrades quickly and harmlessly into compost and the like. For example, we generated a significant amount of green waste the other week when we pulled down the ivy covering one wall of the house, and still further yesterday when raking up the leaves on the lawn. (Tip: Don't try raking leaves on gravel. It's a road to nowhere.)

This leads me rather neatly on to the many joys to be found in gardening, not least of which is lopping. I don't know if you've ever wielded a decent pair of loppers before, but the feeling of power and capability gleaned from it is probably the greatest to be derived from any garden implement. They exude strength, indestructibility and an I-can-cut-through-pretty-much-anything-I-so-please attitude that makes using them a strangely pleasing experience. I am, in a manner of speaking, the official 'overzealous person with loppers' of the household, thanks to my efficient (if somewhat haphazard) pruning of unruly shrubbery and assorted other plants. My methods: cut little, cut well, cut everywhere, and don't stop cutting until everything is perfect. Oh, and don't worry too much about the bits you've cut off.

Coming a close second in my list of favourite gardening tasks is the usage of the humble rake. Firstly, there is the fun factor. If you own a leaf rake, much excitement can be gained by gently hitting on the ground and listening to the amusing 'boingggggg' emitted as a result. Alternatively, you can hold it at the very end of the handle and let the prongs fall to the ground from a small height, at which point you start to walk backwards. When the prongs hit the ground (preferably grass for best results) the lateral motion you are providing gives them enough energy to spring upwards to around the same height as they were at originally. The miracle force that is gravity causes them to drop again, and for as long as you continue to walk backwards the rake will bounce up and down to great comic effect across the garden. What fun!

I'm afraid this is all the horticultural fun you're going to get for the moment, but tune in next time when I'll be discussing... er... hmm... something. See you then!

5 comments:

  1. Another thing is looking behind you after raking and seeing the grass all clean.
    But I don't know. Maybe you hate gardening? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, too, is deeply gratifying. Leaves are unquestionably best when they're heaped up in a big pile in the corner of spotless lawn. As a matter of fact, I like gardening a lot, but, as it seems to be with all the things I enjoy, I'm not particularly good at it. Certainly my lopping leaves much to be desired...

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY gratifying. But its enormously frustrating when you've just finished, look behind you and see that, already, more leaves have fallen.
    And, like you, I tend to get "shear-happy" when someone hands me some shears, particularly when they're sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaaaaargh! The Curse of the Never-Completely-Tidy Lawn! It's like painting the Forth Bridge... but with dead and dying plant matter instead of metal girders (hey, it's a minor difference).
    Well, it appears this propensity for the inappropriate usage of sharp garden implements is somewhat more common that I previously thought (at any rate, it's gone from affecting one person to two). If people regard your shrubbery in a bemused fashion, it's usually a sign that the affliction's serious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it doesn't seem worth raking up leaves (or in my case, purple flowers which attract bees. I can't remember how many times I've been stung.) if they're just going to 'repopulate' the lawn.
    I bet the 'shearhappyness' is contagious. For me, it often turns into "gee, I wonder whats the thickest branch these shears could cut?" and so I go around trying them on unfortunate trees and bushes.
    Anyway, I seem to be cluttering up your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete