Search This Blog

23 March 2009

Just Say No

Okay, I think I've just reached the bounds of normal, sane behaviour. Everything strange I've ever done up to this point pretty much pales into insignificance compared with what's happening now. Fact is, I'm addicted...

...but not to something believable or reasonable, oh no. Not drugs, not alcohol, not smoking: nothing near as predictable as that. You promise not to laugh if I tell you?

Apricots.

All right, you can laugh now. Yes, it's utterly ridiculous. But oddly enough, it's true. I find myself in the unusual position that if I haven't had a dried apricot in a while, I start craving them. Worse than that: I start needing them. It's as though an apricot-shaped hole suddenly develops in me.

Am I crazy? Or am I just one of many who suffer insatiable appetites for otherwise mundane objects? If there are others, are they crazy as well? Are you one of these people, and do you consider yourself crazy? Answers on a postcard! (Or preferably a comment, given the speed (or lack thereof) of the postal service.)

11 comments:

  1. Haha - Looks like you're the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaaaargh! I knew it! Or maybe there are people out there like me, but they just don't want to admit it. (You never know...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In that case you should probably start a support group and advertise in the local paper :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Possibly, but then I might end up (shock horror!) not liking apricots. Not sure I could take that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In case anyone thinks I'm being rather unfair to the person whose comment I just deleted, I should point out that it was actually me. Someone else had logged in before me and had not yet logged off, and I (rather foolishly) ended up posting the comment in their name. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! So you don't want the help then?
    Anyway, speaking of personal preferences (not that we were), I prefer them un-dried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I suppose I don't want help, in retrospect. The addiction suits me just fine.
    Seeing as we are now talking about personal preferences, I have to say I've never quite gone for fresh apricots myself. Probably it's a texture thing more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure its fine. Its not like it damages your health (or DOES it? I sense a conspiracy theory)

    Come to think of it, I like them both equally. But that might just be because I haven't had either in ages..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! You had to mention conspiracy theories, didn't you? I don't feel safe with dried apricots any more.
    Also, I think I might be going off them. Although it might be because the latest batch aren't really leathery enough...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So all you need to do now is write a scathing letter into (sorry to bring this up again) the local paper all about the unsatisfactory texture of dried apricots.
    I'm sure they'd accept it. I mean, someone wrote in to OUR local paper about the papery taste of teabags.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Teabags, you say? Hmmmm...
    'Sir,
    I find myself more and more angered by the inability of today's dried fruit manufacturers to provide apricots of a half-decent texture, and, moreover, the shortcomings of the tea industry with regard to the flavour of its teabags. Surely there is something to be done about...'
    On second thoughts, I don't want to risk sounding any more of a nutter than I already do. And believe you me, I can definitely go straight off my rocker at times.

    ReplyDelete