Search This Blog

24 December 2007

The Perils of the Internet

Yes, perils. Small innocuous-looking web pages and features that, within milliseconds, have reduced your browser to a heap of smouldering code. Basically, what I'm trying to say in a rather roundabout and vastly exaggerated way is that I have, on this very day, been a 'victim' of a minor peril of my own. From this site, no less! Before I begin, I think I ought to say that I bear a grudge against neither Google nor Blogger. It would take somebody saving my life (or possibly paying a large amount of money into my bank account) to push either of them off the top of my 'people I didn't know about until they made a fairly large impact on my life' list. But I digress. On with the story! Actually, there's not that much to be said. For a few minutes, Blogger had a little panic and decided that the great evil hacker hordes had swept down on me and converted me into a super-fast, super-intelligent and undeniably evil piece of malware. Google soon cottoned on to this however. With the great, automated hand of Internet justice, they redirected me to their specially set-up apology site where I could view the aforementioned information but do no harm to the peaceful, law-abiding citizens of Google-ville. Eventually their system let me back on, none the wiser. Like all good stories, there is a moral to this cautionary tale. If a site doesn't like you:

  1. It's probably not personal (although you never know).
  2. If you wait, the problem may pass.
  3. There are plenty of other places to go, if all else fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment